Northern Ireland Community of Refugees & Asylum Seekers
NICRAS is a Refugee Community Organisation (RCO) which was established in 2002. It is the only refugee led organisation in Northern Ireland that represents the interests of the refugee community.
Year(s): 2002 - Present
Target group(s): Refugees, Asylum Seekers
- Supports the integration process of refugees and asylum seekers into local communities throughout Northern Ireland
- Raises awareness of the issues, problems and difficulties faced by refugees and asylum seekers in Northern Ireland
- Informs members of relevant changes to immigration policy and legislation
- Organises social and recreational events
- Responds to the changing needs of its members.
Any refugee or asylum seeker in Northern Ireland can become a full member by Contacting Us and requesting a Membership Form.
Associate Membership is available to other interested individuals and organisations.
Type of product
Brief description of the product / outcome / method
Home Plus runs a daily Drop-In Centre for destitute Asylum Seekers providing the following services:
Weekly health care clinic
All services are provided free of charge to Asylum Seekers over the age of 18.
The Welcome Centre
The Welcome Centre is a day centre catering for approximately 50-60 homeless people, rough sleepers or people who live alone. It delivers a caring service for men and women from all over Belfast and all religious denominations. The Welcome Centre provides tea and coffee all day and a three course lunch daily. There are showering facilities, the opportunity to have a change of clothing and a laundry service.
Open 7 days a week (including holidays) 8:00am – 10.00pm
Information and Awareness Raising
Information is available on NICRAS website and facebook
Impact on target groups / Transferability potential
Promoter of the initiative
Name of organization / individual: Northern Ireland Community of Refugees & Asylum Seekers
Country: United Kingdom