EMBRACE N.I is an inter-church organisation, which began as a support group for refugees and people seeking asylum. It now sees its main role as one of encouraging church communities to make Northern Ireland a more welcoming place for all people from other countries and minority-ethnic backgrounds.
Year(s): Established in 2003
Target group(s): Migrants, Asylum Seekers, Refugees, Ethnic-minority groups
EMBRACE N.I seeks to:
- Reflect gospel values of compassion, hospitality and justice
- Raise awareness and provide information, resources and training
- Respond to those in need by acting as a channel for voluntary assistance
- Support people by human rights and welfare advocacy
- Network with relevant agencies and groups
- Make informed responses on issues of public policy
Type of product
- Emergency Fund
- Toolkit for Churches
- English language training courses
- On the Street Projects
- Fact sheets on migrant issues
- Downloadable resources
- Welcoming events
- Youth resources
Brief description of the product / outcome / method
Signposting - EMBRACE N.I has produced a signposting document for responding to people in need.
Youth resources - EMBRACE N.I has produced a range of resources for young poelpe including DVD's, Booklets, Activity books to raise awareness of culture and diversity amongst young people.
Impact on target groups / Transferability potential
EMBRACE N.I facilitates others in responding to people who have practical needs. The group does not help people directly but networks with other specialist groups.
Promoter of the initiative
Name of organization / individual: EMBRACE N.I
Country: United Kingdom